(Westminster Depot) According to tradition, the Westminster Depot was built ca. 1885. The railroad was one of the principle reason for the growth and development of the town of Westminster (incorporated in 1875), and as a result, the railroad station is one of the towns oldest buildings and has long been considered a local landmark. The station served as a gathering place and as a center of activity for this small community. With the general decline of the railroad in America, Westminsters rail services were curtailed; the passenger service eventually being discontinued about 1969. Rectangular in plan, this structure features a prominent hip roof with a deep overhang, supported by large wooden brackets. Opening to the exterior are four double doors and four single, five-paneled doors. There are ten windows with leaded diamond-shaped panes on the upper sashes and a single panel below. At the rear of the structure is a large three-sectioned dormer window featuring diamond-shaped panes. Directly beneath this dormer is a three-sectioned bay window. Above all the single doors and one of the sliding doors are transoms featuring the diamond-shaped panes. The structure has undergone several alterations during the 20th century, however, the basic integrity of the design remains. Listed in the National Register November 7, 1976.
- By scmtnlakes
- Email: email@example.com
Theme Settings > Item Pages > Contact > Contact Form ID