The mission of the Oconee County Library system is to connect our diverse communities with information resources that enrich, enlighten and entertain.
The Oconee County Public Library was first established in May of 1948. The first library opened in October of that year in the old courthouse annex in Walhalla, SC. A bookmobile was also purchased and began operation in that same year. Between 1950 and 1953, branch libraries were established in Westminster (1950), Salem (1952) and Seneca (1953). In 1968, the Seneca Library was the first to have a building constructed specifically for library purposes. It was dedicated in October, 1968. Other new, purpose-built facilities were erected in Walhalla (dedicated October, 1979) and Westminster (dedicated September, 1979). The Salem Library, dedicated in May, 1981 shares space with the Town Hall. The Seneca Library, built in part with funding from the City of Seneca, became part of the county system in 1983, as well as undergoing an expansion at that time (completed in 1985).
- By scmtnlakes
- Email: email@example.com
Theme Settings > Item Pages > Contact > Contact Form ID