Russell Farmstead

Description

Description

The Russell House was constructed sometime after 1867 and considerably expanded around 1890 and in the early twentieth century. The house, which burned in 1988, was significant in the area of transportation for its role as a late nineteenth and early twentieth century stage stop and inn, which was operated by William Gannaway Russell (1835-1921).

The inn provided accommodations for travelers between Walhalla and the mountain resort area around Highlands, N.C. The Russell House complex, which includes 10 agricultural outbuildings constructed in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, is also significant in the area of agriculture.

The outbuildings are representative of the diverse aspects of a small, turn of the century Appalachian farmstead. The various outbuildings, including the ruins of a log barn, a spring house, outhouse, garage, corn crib, and potato cellar, among others, illustrate common building types and construction techniques used in the region.

The main house, two storage buildings, and a privy were destroyed by fire on May 14, 1988. Listed in the National Register February 29, 1988.

Contact

Contact

Location

Russell Farmstead

Contact

Russell Farmstead
  • By scmtnlakes
  • Email: webmaster@scmountainlakes.com
Please create a form with contact 7 and add.

Theme Settings > Item Pages > Contact > Contact Form ID

Ratings

Russell Farmstead

Reviews

0

0 Total
Service
0.0%
Location
0.0%
Quality
0.0%
Fun
0.0%