Built around 1792 during tensions between white settlers and Creek Indians, the Oconee Station itself was once one in a string of small frontier posts garnished by state militia. It was the last of its kind when it was decommissioned and the troops left in 1799. Its impressive 20-inch stone walls are still standing today. William Richards ran a thriving trading post out of the Station until 1809. Also on the site is the William Richards House built in 1805. It served as a private residence for 150 years. The site features picnicking, fishing and trail access to Station Cove Falls in the Sumter National Forest.
Directions: North of Walhalla on SC Highway 11, turn left onto Oconee Station Road. Park is 2 miles ahead on the right. GPS Coordinates: 34-50-25 N, 083-3-58 W
- Address500 Oconee Station Road, Walhalla, SC
- CategoryHistoric Sites, Parks, Play, State
- By scmtnlakes
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Theme Settings > Item Pages > Contact > Contact Form ID