Ellicott’s Rock, in the east bank of the Chattooga River, is the common corner of the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia. As a result of the division of the Carolina province into two colonies in 1727, a dispute arose over the boundary between North and South Carolina. Beginning at the sea the boundary line was gradually established until 1813 when the terminus of the SC-NC line was set by commissioners of the two states. The last line was run on the ground and approved by both states in 1815. In 1819 commissioners for North Carolina and Georgia used the rock as a focal point for attempted settlement of the boundary dispute between their two states. Although the NC-GA line dispute still erupts periodically, the rock is recognized as the fixed common corner of all three states. Andrew Ellicott’s survey was made in 1811, and Ellicott’s notes state that he marked a rock at the time with the inscription NC-GA. A rock about 500 feet upstream bears this inscription. Local and regional usage has established the name Ellicott Rock for the rock inscribed in 1813. Listed in the National Register July 24, 1974.
- Address35°0′3″N 83°06′30.5″W
- CategoryHistoric Sites, Play
- By scmtnlakes
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Theme Settings > Item Pages > Contact > Contact Form ID