The Alexander-Cannon-Hill house is the strongest existing architectural link between the present and Old Pickens. When the Alexander-Cannon-Hill House was originally built by Pleasant Alexander in 1831, it was located on a plantation at the edge of Old Pickens. From 1828-1868 Old Pickens was the center of government for Pickens District which in 1868 was subdivided into Pickens and Oconee counties.
The house was moved to its new location in the spring of 1972 to conform with regulations of the Atomic Energy Commission. The original section of the two-story clapboard structure was built in 1831. Between this date and the Civil War the portion extending from the third window left of the main entrance to the eastern end of the house was added. Both original section and addition are constructed with mortise-and-tenon joints typical of upcountry pioneer architecture. The interior retains heart pine flooring in the entrance hall, original stairway with unadorned banister, and wainscoting in the parlor.
The house has been owned by only three families. Pleasant Alexander served as sheriff of Pickens District from 1844 to 1848 and held the position of postmaster for many years. In 1874 the house and property were sold to Silas Cannon by the Alexander estate. In 1883 Cannon sold the property to J. Bennett Hill and it remained in that family until Duke Power Company acquired the property in the 1960s.
Listed in the National Register July 24, 1972.
- Address671 High Falls Road, Seneca, SC 29672
- CategoryHistoric Sites, Play
- By scmtnlakes
- Email: email@example.com
Theme Settings > Item Pages > Contact > Contact Form ID